There is an old legend hereabouts, whose origin has long been lost, that an old Indian Chief, whose tribe made the Ocala area its home, became very ill. The Medicine Man finally decided old Chief Clica-Si was surely headed for the Happy Hunting Grounds and as a last resort sent for the Chief's blood brother, Chief Nu-Wa. Chief Nu-Wa knew of a wonderful healing spring several moons away, toward the setting sun, and soon the Chief's braves were carrying their old Chief in a litter toward the western water.
They came to a place, along a narrow stretch of water, whose banks were lined with huge travertine rocks. Nu-Wa told the tribe that the spring was located on the sandy island that stretched in front of them. The teepees were pitched on the rocky shore and canoes took them across to an island where the spring was soon found. The Chief regained his health quickly after drinking the mineral waters and each year from then on, the tribe traveled to the rocks and the spring.
This is supposedly how Indian Rocks got its name, with the spring, capped years ago, now also lost.
This is the legend, but a geodetic survey of 1828 shows a record of the old pass in the vicinity of the southern municipal limits of Indian Rocks Beach, South Shore. This stretch was also filled with travertine rocks where it is said Indians were often found fishing. The government filled the pass in 1927, joining the upper "Sand Key" to the lower beaches.
Indian Rocks Beach South Shore is one of the oldest and smallest beach communities and had the longest name. It was originally an Indian campsite and got its name from the large red rocks found along its shoreline.
Its first "settlers" were a pair of Robinson Crusoe-Type brothers named Cochran.
In 1883 four Cedar Key speculators sailing to St. Petersburg, stopped to explore the Island. They were fascinated by the Island's possibilities for future development and bought it from the Cochran Brothers for a nominal sum. It is said the brothers bartered their Island "for little more than a string of beads and $25.00, figuratively speaking, like the Indians of Manhattan".
The region soon became a popular residential and vacation area. Many prominent Tampans built summer cottages on the Island, among them the D. B. McKays. Members of the McKay family served intermittently as Mayor of Tampa and publishers of the Tampa Tribune.
Until a wooden turn bridge was built in 1916, a ferryboat transported pedestrians to the Island, and a barge carried horses, buggies and a few automobiles to the summer resort.
In 1905 the Railroad ran a spur line from the mainland to the beach and a hotel was built, adding to the Island's popularity. The railroad spur was abandoned later, but the community continued to grow especially during the Post World War II building boom.
Indian Rocks Beach, South Shore was incorporated September 16, 1949 by general statute. It extends from 183rd Avenue to 202nd Avenue along Gulf Boulevard, the Community's north and south boundary.
The Town averages only a block in width between the Gulf of Mexico and by an area known as The Narrows. It was named Indian Rocks Beach, South Shore because the tiny community wanted a separate identity from the City of Indian Rocks Beach.
On September 16, 1949, a group of 42 registered voters and freeholders, met for the first time in the Beach Park Restaurant upstair's hall, to incorporate a Town under the Laws of the Florida Statute of 1941.
At this first meeting, selected were Edward Fitch Taylor as Mayor; Bernice Pitt as Town Clerk; Emory Boyd as Town Marshall; and Mrs. E. Boyd, Harry Gooding, Russel West, H. Tinman, James Roesler, Hubert Tipton, Estelle Harper, Pearl Cook and Arthur Goble as Aldermen.
After the approval of the majority that there should be no Ad Valorem Taxes or Assessments in the Town Charter, the name of the Town was to be Indian Rocks Beach, South Shore.
In August 1951, 150 feet of Gulf Boulevard was purchased, a site for the present Municipal Building, whose contracts were let in October 1953. The building was finished October 1954 and the mortgage was paid off in full in the fall of 1955.
On July 24, 1973, a special referendum was held by the Town as to the citizens desires to change the name of the town from Town of Indian Rocks Beach, South Shore to Indian Shores. The special referendum results were in favor of changing the name. On August 14, 1973 the name of the Town was officially changed by Ordinance No. 82 and the name Indian Shores created. Members of Council at this historic occasion were Mayor Lambertus Seynders, Vice Mayor Howard E. Mann, James A. Roesler, William J. Coppenhaver, Ruth E. Paulson, Gordon E. Hall, Rollin R. Savage, Samuel L. Clark and Robert M. Quin, Council Members.
Welcome to the highly sought after Barefoot Terrace Condo nestled on Indian Shores beautiful stretch of beaches. Barefoot Terrace only has 7 condos total within the build...
$289,900... Affordable Waterfront living in a well maintained friendly desirable complex. Enjoy the Direct Water Views of the Intracoastal from your screened Enclosed Bal...
Welcome to this small, exclusive beachfront community in the heart of Indian Shores. This luxurious unit has so much to offer; from its direct Gulf front location, to the...
Enjoy paradise living with a ton of amenities at a fraction of the cost! Imagine waking up in your 2 bed/2 bath meticulously maintained condo and walking out onto your en...
SPECTACULAR WATERFRONT VIEWS! Great investment/ 1031 Exchange Condo with a 1-7 day rental and future bookings! New waterproof laminate floors throughout. All of the app...